On August 5, 2009, I began The Great Facebook Ad Experiment. Per my friend Andrew’s advice to try a Facebook ad, I combined some catchy text with our logo and launched a campaign to advertise the official Too Shy to Stop fan page.
I opted for CPM (pay every time my ad appears), and I set a budget of $1/day. Too Shy to Stop generates no money, but I wanted to spend a little to find out what would happen.
(Pictured at left: The command center)
The ad ran from August 5th-September 10th. I recently terminated the ad because I didn’t want to spend any more money. I also wanted to step back and see what the ad has done for me.
If you would like to see my ad report (loads as an HTML page), you can click here to view it. This report has not been modified in any way; it’s exactly what Facebook generated.
In total, I spent $36.59.
My ad ran for 37 days.
When I wrote the original ad experiment blog post on August 6th, the Too Shy to Stop fan page had 203 fans.
My ad appeared approximately 135,000 times.
My ad was clicked 177 times (That’s an overall click rate of .13%.).
Of those 177 clicks, 18 resulted in an action (became a fan).
During this ad campaign, I also promoted the fan page using Twitter, word-of-mouth, e-mail, and our kind-of-illegal Facebook profile page.
We generated 60 new fans. Of these new fans, 18 were won because of the ad.
Overall, free methods of marketing worked better than paid methods. However, we did attract 18 new readers who may otherwise have never heard of Too Shy to Stop.